Sunday, 12 February 2012


I was reminded of my heritage today when I read the latest post from one of my favourite blogs, Sew Tessuti.  Since early childhood I had known that my great-great grandfather who arrived in Australia in the early 1840s was an actor and playwright.  It was not until many years later that I learned to my surprise that he was also a tailor, and that several of his sons followed in his footsteps, setting up their businesses in the heart of Sydney.

In old age, I believe that one of his sons, my great-grandfather, would turn the collars and lapels of my great-grandmother's blouses and suits so that they would see out another season.  They lived to their early eighties and died within a year of each other.  This is a tribute to those men in my family who passed their love of fabric down to the present generation.

O'MAST from Kid Dandy on Vimeo.


Posie Patchwork said...

This is so lovely. I have a long history of seamstresses in my family, i love that my children are not only keen but so skilled already, learning innately, love Posie

Chrisy said...

Oh I want to be there! A lovely tribute...wouldn't it be good if we could wriggle our noses and go back in time for a visit...