Sunday 12 February 2012

Heritage

I was reminded of my heritage today when I read the latest post from one of my favourite blogs, Sew Tessuti.  Since early childhood I had known that my great-great grandfather who arrived in Australia in the early 1840s was an actor and playwright.  It was not until many years later that I learned to my surprise that he was also a tailor, and that several of his sons followed in his footsteps, setting up their businesses in the heart of Sydney.

In old age, I believe that one of his sons, my great-grandfather, would turn the collars and lapels of my great-grandmother's blouses and suits so that they would see out another season.  They lived to their early eighties and died within a year of each other.  This is a tribute to those men in my family who passed their love of fabric down to the present generation.


O'MAST from Kid Dandy on Vimeo.

2 comments:

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

This is so lovely. I have a long history of seamstresses in my family, i love that my children are not only keen but so skilled already, learning innately, love Posie

Chrisy said...

Oh I want to be there! A lovely tribute...wouldn't it be good if we could wriggle our noses and go back in time for a visit...