Tuesday 30 August 2011

High Tea

I am launching a new organisation, the Bring Back High Tea Association (BBHTA).  I am the president, secretary, publicist and (so far) sole member of this illustrious society.

Hot Fudge High Tea















Two of our oldest and dearest friends arrived at our new home yesterday with a bottle of champagne to start off the proceedings.  Afternoon tea rather than lunch had been my girlfriend's idea, knowing that we were still in Unpacking Mode.  Rather than simply putting a cake on the table, I thought that high tea would be so much more elegant, and it was the perfect opportunity to give the new oven, Gertrude, space to strut her stuff.

Mini scones





















I gave up making scones many years ago, when my dear father feigned a broken tooth while attempting to bite into one of my scones.  In my defence, I was a newly-wed and probably was a little heavy-handed in the mixing process. From then on my reputation as a scone maker was ruined, until yesterday.  They were a triumph.  My late father would have been proud of me.

Smoked Salmon & Dill Sandwiches
















Pancetta & Leek Mini Quiches












Next came the finger sandwiches and mini quiches.

Mini Raspberry Melting Moments & Lemon Curd Tarts


















As president of the BBHTA, I made the executive decision to use precious dishes which had been hidden out of harm's way over the years.  The two pink glass dishes were my late mother's wedding gifts and were part of my childhood. 

The event was such a roaring success, no doubt fired by the champagne, and we have decided to make this a regular event.  Why not join the fast-growing organisation (now numbering four) and hold your very own High Tea?  I can guarantee you will love it.

1 comment:

enticing Icing said...

Wow what a lovely spread! Can't wait to see what yummy goodies you whip up for the next gathering