Saturday 18 June 2011

Local Handmade Goodness

Have you ever had to scramble to buy a last-minute gift?  It's my own fault - I knew a celebration lunch was coming up for a good friend's 60th birthday, but I thought it was a week away instead of a day.  I was at a quilt meeting at our local library when the bombshell was dropped, but fortunately the library is situated in a shopping centre.  The bad news was that I didn't have a clue what to buy.

I slipped out early from the meeting and arrived wild-eyed at my favourite gift shop in the centre.  I should have known that all would be well.  There waiting patiently for me was the perfect gift.

Thea & Sami









This beautiful hand-printed linen tea towel by Brisbane designer Thea Samios of Thea & Sami simply jumped into my hands. The hardest part was gift wrapping it because I really wanted to keep it for myself. 

Thea and I had both participated in this exhibition organised by Melanie Gray Augustin back in April, so I knew first-hand what a wonderful designer she is and I knew my creative friend would really appreciate this gift.

Of course, in my haste I forgot all about wrapping paper and card, so that evening I hastily designed some paper and a card.

Not too subtle, do you think?










The lunch the next day was delightful and my friend loved her newly acquired tea towel, although I doubt it will ever dry a dish - too good for such a mundane chore.














I guess the moral is support our artisans - buy local and buy often!

3 comments:

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Absolutely, lovely local handmade!! Thea & Sami, oh yes, love her style & can pick it a mile off, love Posie

Sandrine said...

I have not seen this design for Thea before, really lovely! I like the morale of your story Robyn!!LOL xx

Creative Arty Facts said...

... it's a little late but I wanted to say that I too have some gorgeous Thea and Sami goodness. I particularly love this one in black - it currently resides in my kitchen but is "way too good" to use!